Sunday, June 25, 2017

Humble Beginnings -- Tales of a Homesteading Momma Part 2


"Just drop them in the ground, you can't go wrong!  You've got this!"  These parting words spoken with loving confidence as the master gardner of our family pulled out through the newly hung swinging farm gate with all three boys.

A dozen seed packets squeezed tightly in my hands and I had NO idea what to do with them beyond my marching orders of "just drop them in the ground".  I knew just enough to know that there was more to it, but what?!

(This would have been a fantastic time to have a hidden camera tucked away in one of our towering evergreen pine trees.)

I kid you not.  After a great deal of pacing, I decided I had to start.  One seed at a time.  Carefully planting sunflowers, pumpkins, lettuce and several neatly planted rows of corn!



Until…

Well, let's just say that I tried my best!  We've had a good laugh now that these sweet and neat rows are popping up in all their glory:


This here is where I attempted to plant 2 straight rows of corn!  :)

I probably should also mention that after everything finally popped up many weeks ago, nothing has grown.   

Not even a half an inch.  

My dear husband finally came to my rescue (after I sheepishly handed my gardening baton to him!) and has added some boosters to our garden to see if there's any hope to get this thing going!  

It's been a humble beginning to say the least as I get my feet wet in this homesteading adventure we're in!  Let's just say that I will be having a bit more help at the start next year when it comes to our garden!  :)
 

No comments: