For some one like me who is extremely black and white, days like today really throw me because I can not seem to categorize today as a "good" one or "bad" one. However, I will say that, at the end of the day, I have gained some much needed perspective...and that is good.
We have really been looking forward for many weeks to being able to see some of our good friends tonight for dinner. As I felt the need to wake our youngest up this morning, (after over 13 hours of sleep), he began coughing with a thick croup cough. My heart just sank knowing that we were going to have to cancel dinner with our friends tonight. I was really disappointed considering that we have been on a relatively healthy streak for a while until a few days ago. Why now?!
Feeling sad that we would not be able to see our friends, and trying to help our youngest who was really not feeling well, we tried to switch gears find something to be joyful about today. As we looked out our window we saw a beautiful blanket of snow covering the ground. Snow had quietly and gracefully began to fall gently from the sky. That was good timing. I LOVE snow.
We were glad to have my in-laws come join us as we took the kids out on a sled ride. Both boys were not feeling like themselves today but we knew, if we bundled them up, the change of scenery and a sled ride would boost their spirits. It worked wonders for our oldest however, it was still hard for our youngest to crack a smile, (NOT like him at all) . At least he seemed to be at peace outside in the snow and was not crying and fussy like he was inside. The cool air also seemed to calm his cough too.
As the day wore on, I found myself getting more and more frustrated at our oldest for continually whining and being grumpy today. That, needless to say, put a damper on my day.
Also, all day I knew that I needed to make phone calls to 48 women about our upcoming women's retreat for church. I have a very difficult time calling people, (most of whom I have never met), and encouraging them to join us...especially those who really don't want to! These calls have been weighing on me like a heavy load of bricks.
I finally worked up the courage to make the calls and made it through most of them with no trouble. Some women were really short with me. I am just trying to tell myself that it was not me or what I said, it was just their own circumstances.
But really, for the most part, it was ok. Until I came to a lady who shared with me that she lost her 15 year-old son to cancer today. My heart dropped. I had NO idea what to say to someone that has just managed to say goodbye to her beloved son...just a few hours before.
And the part that I just could not get over was her sweetness to me as I talked with her about the retreat, (before I even knew her situation!). She even said that she is trying to figure out how to go to the retreat next weekend as she tries to figure out the details of the memorial service.
After that call I was really shaken. How can I even feel sorry for myself today with my grumpy kids sick with colds, and my disappointment over not being able to see a friend, when this dear woman had to let go of her son today?!
Perspective.
After that moment, I feel like I have gained just a little bit more of just that.
Although my day did not go the way I had wanted it to, there are so many things that I can be thankful for. Although they are sick and NOT happy, (and our lives are not as pleasant), our boys lives are a beautiful gift to us...and they are ours to hold today.
3 comments:
Wow. Now there is a gracious woman... That surely is perspective.
Perspective is everything isn't it? I think that God sometimes put's those people in our paths when we need a dose of "real." I have had the same type of thing happen to me. It's always a real wake up call.
WOW JA! That was powerfully put! Thank you for all you share!
Angei
Post a Comment