Monday, March 30, 2009

On the Wings of a Prayer

Just close your eyes and open your heart

And your worries and cares depart,

Just yielding yourself to the Father above

And let Him hold you secure in His love --

For life on earth grows more involved

With endless problems that can't be solved --

But God only asks us to do our best,

Then He will take over and finish the rest --

So when you are tired, discouraged and blue,

There's always one door that is open to you --

And that is the door to the house of prayer

And you'll find God waiting to meet you there,

And the house of prayer is no farther away

Than the spot where you kneel and pray --

For the heart is a temple when God is there

As we place ourselves in His loving care,

And He hears every prayer and answers each one

When we pray in His name,"Thy will be done"

And the burdens that seemed too heavy to bear

Are lifted away on the wings of prayer.


~ Helen Steiner Rice

Dear Lord,

You know that I am running ragged today. I don't know how I have the energy, let alone patience to take care of the boys this week while my husband travels across the country for the 4th time in 5 weeks. I am weary and discontented. I know I can do it, I simply just don't want to.

So, as I kneel and enter your house of prayer, I know that You will meet me and Your beautiful presence will be there.

Help me not only make it through the week by scraping by, please lift me up and help me to soar...and in doing so, help me to lift my boys up too.

My burdens are heavy, but you have always been so faithful to walk along side me and provide the joy and energy to make it through. I promise, I'll give my best, but I really need You to do the rest.

In Your Name, Amen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a mother of three boys and a husband who is at work a lot, I just want you to know that I am here with you and I know the exhaustion! Boys will especially do it to you. You are a great mother and those boys are so lucky to have you!!

Kelly said...

[But God only asks us to do our best,
Then He will take over and finish the rest --]

this is SUCH a challenge, but what a beautiful promise! hold tight to it this week!

Anonymous said...

I need to direct my sister over your way very soon...

She is about to have a baby in June. You've probably read about her story on my blog, but this baby comes after years of infertiliy, miscarriages, and much, much prayer and many, many tears.
And one adoption. :)

She adopted Ava last April... and this April we are giving her another baby shower. Surprise! :)

So within a little over a year, she will have gone from no babies to two under two. Her husband works long, long hours (he's an attorney) and they are both wondering how in the world they will do it when they already feel like they have nothing more to give.

And yet they are so grateful and excited! It's just overwhelming. I'm sure you could offer her some great tips and sometimes burdens shared are burdens halved, somehow. Her name is Jan, just in case she stops by.

I was just telling John the other day that when you're in the middle of those years, it feels like things will never change, not EVER! And then all of a sudden, it does. Seriously, that is how it feels, looking back! These are major "survival" days for you. And don't pressure yourself thinking that "these are the best days and I'm too tired to enjoy them!" Ha ha! They are wonderful days, but so are the ones in your future... it only gets better.

I never knew that. People would say to me, "just wait..." as if it were going to be this big mudslide, right out the door. But no, it's not... life is fun with your kids when you have a relationship with them. I will have a high schooler, a middle schooler, and an elementary aged kid next year, and while I'd love to go back maybe for a day, I truly am loving where we are.

So you have lots to look forward to, and you can also give yourself a break and say, "today is survival mode." And then Daddy will get home and you'll take some happy pictures and video and 10 years from now, it will all look like a piece of cake: no one ever cries in videos or pictures. HA!

Blessings on you, you are doing a noble work.

Love,
Jen