Last night I was put to the test once again. Would I be able to put my newly learned habit of "setting aside" things that had to get done for something more important? We had just hosted dinner (that my dear mother-in-law was gracious to make it for us!) and a finance class at our house. Dirty dishes piled high in the sink and then cascaded over onto the countertops...
In between the nightly feedings for the baby, I simply paused to catch up with my sweetheart. Reclined on our bed just facing each other. Me at the headboard, him at the footboard. Talking about last week. The week to come. Our kids. Anything that came to mind.
Suddenly the dishes piled high and the dirty kitchen seemed of no importance.
When we pause in our busy days we are able to recognize that which would otherwise be over looked, like an unopened gift just beckoning to be enjoyed -- treasured!
As mentioned in my last post, my sweet sister-in-law shared a beautiful blog site with me. I hope that you've had a chance to take a visit over to: http://www.aholyexperience.com/
Ann, the author of this blog, (and also the book, One Thousand Gifts,) has a unique way of viewing life.
This mother of 6 began to record all of the simple, day to day moments in her life that she's thankful for in her journal.
As hinted in the title of the book, she did achieve the goal of recording 1,000 gifts and has continued recording as a way of giving thanks to the Lord for everything He bestows.
As she says, recognizing and naming these gifts allows her to remain in the throne room of God every moment of every day. In everything.
To quote Ann:
"In naming that which is right before me, that which I'd otherwise miss, the invisible become visible...Joy is the realest reality, the fullest life, and joy is always given, never grasped. God gives gifts and I give thanks and I unwrap the gift given: joy.
The brave who focus on all things good and all things beautiful and all things true, even in the small, who gives thanks for it and discover joy even in the here and now, they are the change agents who bring fullest Light to all the world. When we lay the soil of our hard lives open to the rain of grace and let joy penetrate our cracked and dry places, let joy soak into our broken skin and deep crevices, life grows...The clouds open when we mouth thanks."
I don't know about you, but I WANT this. I mean really, really want this. Quite simply, realizing what I have been given is all I really need.
So this morning, on a day that was not unlike any other Monday morning, I set out to capture these love notes, these precious gifts simply waiting to be opened.
I took a quiet moment, when peace and harmony were ruling the land with my little princes, (rare and sacred moments, indeed), to sit on the couch with a warm cup of tea and read a few pages in this aforementioned book. Being inspired by what I had just read, I then wanted to seek out these gifts given to me today...
As I laid on the floor to click a picture of the "Tonka Truck Convention" that was apparently taking place in our entry hall, I smiled. Instead of mess of trucks that I would normally just toss back in their assigned spots, I saw how the boys had taken the time to position each truck in a place "just so" to help act out the part in the play they had created.
And just like that, my own personal list of 1,000 gifts was born:
1. Sips of warm tea on a quiet rainy day while pouring over a good book
2. The boys' beloved trucks carefully arranged "just so" to tell a story in the entry hall
3. Sweet Sunday evening talks in the still of the night with my sweetheart
2. The boys' beloved trucks carefully arranged "just so" to tell a story in the entry hall
3. Sweet Sunday evening talks in the still of the night with my sweetheart
What about you? What special gifts have crossed your pathway today?

3 comments:
Good stuff. Really good stuff. Worked on that gratitude at the park today, while Adrianna wanted me to pretend and pretend and pretend with her (something that doesn't come naturally to me!). I'm definitely still a work in progress, but I'm trying to start!
LOVE IT!!!!! (Especially the Tonka trucks -- know what you are talking about!) It definitely changes my attitude when I focus on the thanks rather than becoming bitter, tired, or resentful.
This makes me so happy :). LOVE the tonka trucks, and chats with my sweetheart. Thanks for encouraging us all!
Post a Comment