Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Round 2 At Children's Hospital

Boys will be boys?? Is this what I signed up for? I do really love my boys, but 2 trips to the ER at Children's Hospital in 3 months is much more than I imagined!

A close friend of mine came over this morning so that we could take a delightful trip down south to meet up with another close friend of ours. It looked like a promising day for sure!

We had a great lunch and wonderful time catching up then headed over to our friend's little girl's school to watch her sing the "Star Spangled Banner" in her talent show. The auditorium was VERY dark...we could not even see the chairs to sit down in. After feeling our way to some chairs, our 2 year old (will be 3 tomorrow!) requested to sit in his very own chair. So, I let him.

Next thing I knew he was crying REALLY, REALLY hard. I somehow found him in the darkness and quickly rushed him out to the lobby. There was A LOT of blood coming out of him mouth. It took several minutes to stop the bleeding then figure out exactly what happened and where the injury was.

I felt so out of control not being able to do anything to stop the bleeding as I continued to wipe it away as it pooled up. Poor little guy was really scared, in pain and did not know what was going on.

Turns out there was a gash inside his mouth as well as outside on his lip then going down. Not sure if he hit the metal frame of chair or if his tooth had made the gouge.

We were encouraged by several people to have it checked out at the hospital and possibly stitched up. So, we got back in the car, and spent the next hour driving to Children's Hospital. The nurse there looked at it and then brought in a 2nd opinion. She said that it will scar if we don't stitch or we could stitch and have a smaller scar...either way there would be one.

The decision was mine.

It was SO hard to make that call by myself! I did decide to not have him go through what we had to do with Peppin just 3 months ago with sedation and stitching. The nurses said they really thought it would be ok to leave it to heal on it's own. We are supposed to be watching for signs of concussion since it was a hard blow he had to cause his injury.

Now, all we have to do is keep it "clean and dry". Sounds easy when it's an elbow or other body part not used for eating!!

It's been a LONG day but I am SO thankful that he's ok and that it was not worse...

3 comments:

Emma and Luke said...

JA - You poor thing!! Isn't life rough at this age? It seems like it's just one thing after another. I hope he feels better soon, poor guy!!

Elissa said...

Oh, man, poor little dude! How traumatic! My husband and I are taking bets on who is going to get stitches first in our family. Not that we want it, but it is inevitable! My money is on our two year old! Anyways, I hope he heals quickly!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Thank you! It's so nice to have sweet encouragement from you both! It really means a lot to me...and I do really need it right now! :) You are wonderful!