Thursday, May 8, 2008

And Then There's Life With a 2 Year Old

My lovely new chalkboard and good intentions were slightly altered today when our well meaning 2 year old "helped" me add my first installment of "Thinking About These Things".


But, you know, as I am reflecting on it right now...I AM thinking about how sweet and precious my 2 year old was today as he "helped decorate". And, I do think that does meet the criteria I have set for this chalkboard. So, I may just leave it "as is" for a few days.

It's been a fun, busy, crazy week this week loaded with many things that I have to/want to get done (more haves than wants right now).

I once had a friend help me understand the importance of "margins" in our lives. Each day and each week must be sandwiched with "margins" or a buffer created just for us to be still, rest, recoup. This week has seen very few margins so far, however, just thinking of when I can get a moment to start my new "project living room" keeps me going!

I really need to get to bed but wanted to share some pics of the living room.

View of the living room from the dinning room (it's all together -- one happy space).


I've always dreamed of a cozy window seat here...but really, I think I could settle for some great curtains. I am unsure on color of curtains. I'm leaning towards chocolate brown with a sheer underneath. The couches are baby blue and the walls are tan and the adjacent wall is "Tiffany Box Blue".


This wall needs serious help! If we had a piano, this would be a great location...but we don't, so, what does one do with a wall like this in a living room? I do have a few pictures hung on it but I know it could be used for something great!

My goals for this room: to add color, bring personality, make it cozy, create a feeling of completeness to the room

I've got to carry whatever color scheme into the dinning room since it's all connected. Not sure if curtains should be the same in both windows. Something to think about.

3 comments:

Emma and Luke said...

You know what might work perfectly on that wall? A couple of ideas... (Of course, not knowing what the rest of your home around there looks like, you might already have something like this so it won't work) A tall table (Entry way type table) would look great under that window! You could place framed pictures, etc. on it. Of course, that means going out and buying one unless you can steal one from somewhere else in your house. If you aren't in a position to buy one right now, skip that but I think doing a collage of family pictures (with or without the table)on that wall would look great. You could use different frames (some thick, some thin, etc) but that are the same color and put up your favorite pictures. You could even do all black and whites... 8 x 10 and 5 x 7. Again, you may have a wall like that already in your place so it might not work but those are the first 2 things that came to mind when I saw that wall! Happy decorating!!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Thank you! Great ideas! We did just get a fun entry table for our entry hall that I could move into that spot just to see what a table would look like there. Also, I do really like your idea of a family picture spot there.

My wonderful sister-in-law also just gave me an idea about how to tie the room together by changing the color of the frame for our oil painting. We've got dark wood for the table and a light wood frame, we'll see what we can do! :)

Emma and Luke said...

Great idea to change the color of the frame to match the tables, I didn't even pay attention to that! Another idea for that wall, when I looked at the pictures again I'm thinking maybe that space isn't quite as big as what I first though and a table may be too big/bulky (depending on the table) but what about a low bookshelf? (Assuming you don't already have one and have books to fill it with!) Then you can still put things on top if you'd like and it'd at least break up that wall a bit for you... just an idea!