Although it sounds funny, there is a huge difference between a house and a home.
We've lived in our house now for 1 1/2 years and it has yet to really feel the way I want a home to feel. So, I am now on a quest to find out exactly what I need to do to create this special place. All the while realizing that it will be different than anywhere else...and that's the best part about it.
Where do I start? How can I achieve this goal without spending thousands of dollars? How can I still have my "girliness" in the midst of my 3 guys (and boy dog)?
I have always had great admiration for the women who "just pull something together" and it's simply beautiful. That would not be me. But, there's GOT to be a way for people like me to achieve a "home" too! I could have an interior designer help out with this mission, however, there is just something about being able to "put a home together" yourself.
How do people do it?!
5 comments:
Take some of your beautiful photographs and have them framed. Sit them around or make an arrangement on the wall. I think family photos are a great way to "homey" up a home. Maybe even turn some into black and whites. ~Shannon
Let me start by saying I'm sure your home is beautiful!! One piece of advice is to start with the room that bothers you the most... find a piece of artwork, photograph, color, etc. that you love and start with that. If you put whatever that item (or color) is in the room, it makes it "easier" to build the room from there. When you are out and about, you'll see things that may or may not work. Just make sure you can take things back! I find I buy/return things before I find just what I'm looking for that works in the room. Good luck!!
I suggest buying a decorating magazine that is full of rooms that you enjoy. Cut out pages that make you happy. Get a sharpie and circle the things you like and write comments. When you have 6 or 7 idea pages, then you have a feel for your style. I have decorated most rooms in our house for under $100 (that includes paint and accessories, not furniture). I love second-hand stores. I try to set aside one day a week to use all of my spare time to work on house projects. Not cleaning, but decorating or organizing. Things that will bless our home's aesthetics. Just start one space at a time. It is certainly okay to copy someone else's ideas...they probably did the same! Hope you have fun!
THANK YOU!!! :) I LOVE all 3 of your ideas! And they are really practical! I CAN do this!
So, this weekend I am going to: print off some of our favorite photos, look for a nice color in a piece of art to inspire a "theme", take one room at a time, and buy a decorating magazine to help with ideas! YAY!!! :)
Thank you, thank you!! :)
I have a lovely book to recommend to you, but it's not a "decorating" book in the traditional sense - it's actually much more.
You can find it on amazon - it's called "Keeping House - the Litany of Everyday Life" by Margaret Kim Peterson. It is one of my very favorite books - and while you won't find pictures of perfect homes in it, you will find encouragement and validation and perspective in its pages.
Post a Comment