It seems like in the past several weeks I have been hearing tons of negative press about BPA's in baby bottles and sippy cups. I just did a bunch of research and there is so much conflicting information. I am wanting to know what I should use for our 1 and 3 year kids. I am not ready for them to drink from glass glasses yet it seems like that could be the only safe option.
We used Avent bottles with both babies until they were one -- apparently this is one of the worst brands to use with BPA exposure, from what I am reading. I am not going to even worry about what has already been done. I can't change the past, BUT I do want to be proactive from now on about what I am using for my kids.
I don't want to go extreme on this if there really is nothing to be concerned about, yet when it comes to my kids I feel convicted that I HAVE to be their advocate.
Here's what I understand thus far:
-- Applying heat to plastic bottles/sippy cups releases BPA in these bottles and sippy cups
-- Using the dishwasher with these products may cause some BPA to leak
-- Avoid all sippy's with the numbers 7, 3 and 6 since they have BPA and other harmful chemicals
-- DO use cups that have 1,2,4 or 5 since they seem to be safer
-- BPA exposure is most devastating in little ones since their nervous systems are still developing
What I want to know:
-- What brands (if any) of sippy cups are "safe" or "safer"?
-- Is dishwashing ok if we do not use the extra hot "sterilize" option?
-- What are moms doing to take action in this situation that seems to be effecting our young ones in such a big way?
I would love any answers from other moms who have researched or are up to date on this topic! Thanks!
7 comments:
I have not done any research on this (but I have heard about it)
I just checked...the cups we use for "K" are a number 5. That is good!
I have to admit...I have used them in the microwave for 40 seconds to warm up his milk and I put them in the dishwasher.
It is important to protect our kids...but I think some things can become too extreme. I feel good that he is using a "5" cup and that is fine with me. :)
Have a Tupperware party and get sip sip cups and tumblers for free if you have enough orders:) Nancy work with Kathy
My older boys all had avent bottles and then gerber sippy cups. Who knows what numbers were on those??
chase has avent bottles now (handed down from my friend whose two older children also drank from them and they seem fine to me).
For sippy cups, I'll probably just use the any of those that don't have 3, 6 or 7.
I also use the dishwasher and I do put it on sterlize since it washes out the bottles so much better. Kind of rethinking that one, but I'm too busy to worry these days. Oh well.
Stainless steel is a great option, those pricey. Thermos makes stainless steel sippy cups that retail somewhere around $15. I admit, I haven't done this yet but have certainly thought about it. Get two cups and just wash by hand lots.
Alissa Shattenberg
I have no idea what a BPA is! Oops, I missed this one. I'll have to look into it. Please update us on what you decide, and even more info if you have time for those of us living in the dark ages! :)
YIKES!!! I used Avent for Brittany and have since thrown them away so I will have to figure out what to do when we have another baby. My cousin uses the plastic bag inserts for her little girl. My work friend uses glass bottles at home for her daughter, because she did all the research as well. Brittany's sippy cups are a 2... Who knows, Brittany is a smart, healthy and wonderful little girl so I don't think she was affected:) Take care and good luck!
though i agree there's nothing we can do about the past, there IS a grass-roots/word-of-mouth advertising campaign by Babies R Us to replace your BPA bottles with BPA-free ones at no charge! you just bring in your old ones (no matter how old--i took the old Avent ones in from lucy that we got more than 4 years ago) and they will give you the dollar value of them, as if they were brand new, to choose BPA-free products. i did this, feeling it important to do what i can for joey now that i know about BPA. glass isn't the only option, and BRU staff will be able to tell you which brands are safe (or look at the packaging as all the BPA-free ones say so).
Post a Comment