Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sweet Showers Quench a Parched Garden


Beautiful gifts are all around us...sometimes all we have to do is open our heart and receive them from others.

I have not done anything that was worthy of such special treats today, but that's just what I got!

As I have mentioned before, (and I never tire of sharing about), I have been so blessed by my family (in-laws and blood related). This morning as I woke, I was surrounded by so many, (too many), "to-do's". Once again, with impeccable timing, my incredibly thoughtful mother-in-law called and asked what she could do to help me today! (She has only one day at home this week and is gone all weekend but she wanted to help me!) Her love and service has blessed me beyond words!

She came and got the kids and is going to have them nap at their house so I can work away at my list. Then came the next gift -- as she was driving away she told me how much she enjoyed taking them!! :) DOUBLE blessing!! I love this alone time and she wants to spend time with our kids! WOW!

Talking on the phone is so rare for me these days while the kids are awake. I can not seem to master multi-tasking and really feel as though I rob both the person on the phone of quality conversation and my sweet children of my full attention that is sometimes needed for praise, discipline, etc.

However, with the kids on their way to grandma's house, I was freed up to take a moment and call my wonderful sister. In the time I spent with her on the phone, (with undivided attention), I was once again so lifted up and encouraged as she shared with me how God is working powerfully in her life. We had a chance to pray together and enjoy each other. Another beautiful gift today.

She and mother-in-law both encouraged me to do something JUST for me during this time. So, this is just what I am doing now. Sharing about them with a heart overflowing with love and thankfulness for them!

I am so unworthy, but so blessed through the gifts given to me today. I'll just stand and receive, drinking it all in -- letting the blessings pour down on me like a much needed summer rain shower on a parched garden, refreshing me just when I need it most.

(As I type, the rain is softly falling upon our flowers and grass in much need of this water to quench their great thirst...there they stand simply drinking it all in. I ran outside to capture this illustration and was excited with how they came out!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you are such a positive person julie anne!! (after all these years I still don't know how you phrase your name - is it julieanne or julie anne?)

Anyway, if I still lived up there I would probably just come to hang out with you to get your positive vibe - now THAT is a gift!

Christy said...

what a blessing!
My in-laws had "K" for 2 nights and it was WONDERFUL!

Rachel said...

Julie Anne, you have been blessed with a grateful heart, which really is a blessing. It's so wonderful to see the joy in the journey!

Anonymous said...

That is what I want to be like when I am the in-law - but I'm sure you make the job enjoyable. I pray for such a lovely relationship with my daughter in law one day.

The flowers are so gorgeous - oh, what a blessing we have had this summer with the rain!!!

Kate said...

beautiful pics but even more so, your heart! :)