Every now and then I get a glimpse of what I've come through since first becoming a mom 3 years ago.
Yesterday was one such moment. We (our 2 boys and myself) went to Mr. T's swim class. I somehow balanced cheering, encouraging, and spurring on our 3 year old, (who was really struggling with confidence in the pool), all the while I was occupying and entertaining our very active 13 month old.
Following swimming, I shuttled both kids to join a friend at a playground, where my boys instantly ran in different directions the moment they were freed from the constraints of the car.
It was then and there that I had an "ah ha" moment. Last summer I VERY rarely went anywhere with our newborn or our 2 year old -- ESPECIALLY when I had to bring both kids! When I did, it was something that I could not get out of and I had no choice but to go and do. I remember how long it took me to get both kids out the door and into the car, etc. I can't help but appreciate and recognize the growth I am now finally seeing! Through God's grace, I am actually making it work! (Not always beautifully, but we're still a work in progress, right?!)
Now, this is not to say that I am ready to take on baby 3 yet! I'm JUST now feeling like I am out of the fog that I was in as I adjusted from one to 2 kids...but I am finally willing to possibly entertain the thought that I may just be up for more than I had originally thought possible.
Perhaps in another couple of years...Lord willing...perhaps.
For now, I am enjoying these new signs of progress in my wonderful, rewarding and all consuming role as a mom. It's something that I want to take a moment to celebrate!
6 comments:
My sister adopted their first baby in April, and she is just starting to feel the need to get out into the world again! And yet... there is a trick to doing so in between feedings and naptimes, mommy's showers and packing the car. You know the routine. She is still napping twice a day, which makes it hard.
It does get easier, and I tell her that often. Thankfully, Ava has been a dream baby overall, and it has been a wonderful experience for them. But the walls do tend to close in after awhile!
I always tell people not to make ANY decisions on family size for at least a year after a new baby comes along. My second baby was a very easy transition into the family - then we took a break - 5 years later we had Jack. I thought, "this will be a breeze." Not so fast.
Nickname: Cryin' Jack. :)
I was so overwhelmed that we made a big decision when he was still a baby and I will confess that I've had my moments of regret. But then again, things are good. Oh, well. I'm just sayin'.
They do grow up, and things do get easier! They really, really do. :) In some ways it's sad - but in other ways, WHAT A JOY!
Thank you so much, Jen! You are always so encouraging! I love to hear what it's like on the other side of things after baby and toddlerhood. It is nice to know that things DO get easier!
I think you nailed it when you said that it's a balance between naps and loading up and getting out. One thing that I do not want to compromise on is our baby's sleep if I can help it. Like Ava, our little one still naps in the morning and afternoon so it's a small window to do things...
To everything there is a season...I'll just try to soak this one up in between the diaper changes, teething and less flexibility. They really are precious at this age and I know I will look back and miss their moments as a baby.
Thanks again for your sweet words!
Ah yes. . . You know I'm familiar with this routine! We're currently on the "once a day" program. I can stand to get them all ready and out the door once a day. It takes about 20 minutes just to get everybody in shoes hair combed and in the car! If I have to go out again after our ONE outing I usually wait until Gordon's home! :)
Hey Rachel! The whole time I was typing this blog I was thinking of you!! I honestly do not know how you do it with 4 kids! You really amaze me -- and inspire me!
I love that you do try to get out of the house every day. My days do go a lot better when we do make it out each day.
If you can do it with 4, I can do it with 2! :)
It seems like when your kids are young, your life is just constant at home, napping, disciplining tantrums, and praying for bedtime.
Just wait until your youngest starts preschool. I was so *DONE* because my hands were so totally full with my two wild ones and then Blake started preschool and I felt like I really wasn't done with young children.
Seriously, just wait. Don't give anything away (like I did) because if you have an inkling now, chances are you'll want another one when your big ones are self sufficient and don't need you as much.
I was just reading Jennifer's comment and it sound like my situation where I waited five years to have a third baby and we're already thinking about number 4!!
So proud of God's progress in you. It was a much bigger adjustment for me going from one to two, particularly with the boys being close in age. A baby and a toddler is a hard combination! Sounds like a fun day and it is great to hear that you are being patient with yourself. All of life seems to be a process.
Have one with those adorable boys!
Post a Comment